Pageviews past week

Monday, September 30, 2013

Week 3 - Participatory Culture

As I was reading this article, I started to recall my elementary and middle school days.  Book reports, essays and summaries required research in the encyclopedias, library visits and articles from newspapers. I found it interesting as I was reading the white paper that this was mentioned:
"Beyond core literacy, students need research skills. Among other things, they need to know how to access books and articles through a library; to take notes on and integrate secondary sources; to assess the reliability of data; to read maps and charts; to make sense of scientific visualizations;"(Jenkins, 2006, p19).  Although I am not in the classroom I have done student teaching, individualized/group tutoring and have sat in on classes - I realize that most students do not have the necessary research skills needed to complete certain assignments.


Most students have more resources available to them than I had as a child - some students that I teach/tutor have never stepped into a library before, cant take notes or present comparative arguments to the literature that they have read.  Jenkins also states " Students also need to develop technical skills. They need to know how to log on, to search various programs, to focus a camera, to edit footage, to do some basic programming and so forth" (2006, p20).  I think integrating all the internet, some social media and old traditional research tactics, like the library, can help make students better at not only doing research for school - but research for life skills as well. The reading and the video was interesting....I had to watch the video a few times to ensure that I didn't miss anything important.








 
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Tikeshia,
    I appreciate the point you made about the students not being able to take notes. I hope that it doesn't get thrown out with cursive writing. Note taking is important, whether the notes are handwritten or taken on a handheld device. Students need to know how to do more than copy and paste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tikeshia,
    You wrote a thoughtful piece that ties in very nicely together and is well articulated. When I was reading about students working on webquests, evaluating sources and synthesizing their findings into a report, my thought was, "Well this is just a research paper" and I was actually a little perturbed that it was presented (in my reading of it) like it was some new, grand endeavor. Yes, utilizing the Internet for research as opposed to going to the library and relying on hard copy books, periodicals and microfiche is relatively new, but a research paper is not - the Internet just puts a new spin on it. Well done.
    Julie DeBold

    ReplyDelete